Megamarsch - Extreme Hiking For Beginners


Being awake 24 hours a day - feasible. 24 hours walking - almost impossible. 24 hours fighting - pure headache!

At we test everything possible and impossible for you ;) From kitchen appliances to office supplies, cameras and car-sharing services, everything is there. This time we tested the Megamarsch in Hamburg for you and now we report about all positive and negative experiences that a Megamarsch brings with it.

Every year on the first Saturday in April some crazy, daring, sporty, bored, persuaded and unsuspecting optimists gather in Hamburg on the first Saturday of the year. Their goal is to walk 100 kilometres in 24 hours. This year we were also at the start. We start at 14:30. Basically there is the possibility to start at 12, 14 and 16 o'clock.

Tip no. 1: Start at 12 o'clock, unless you are of course late risers. In any case, use your sleeping time as good as possible. By the way, the start time at noon is the most popular and therefore sold out relatively quickly. If you are still hesitating, then it's best to decide now! You will not regret it! Most people are excited anyway and can't sleep well. So the earlier you start the better.

When we arrive at the starting point, we soon realize how crowded it is. The tables and benches are far from being enough and so many people sit on the lawn. Also, the toilets are full and in front of them, a long queue has formed. By the way, there is no water at the start! Two of us didn't have any water because we thought that we could fill up our Drink bag on site. So we had to make do with a drinking bag and two small water bottles until the first VPS.

Tip no. 2: Fill up your bottle or Drinking Bubble at home and go to the toilet before if possible.

The weather is great, people are in a good mood and are looking forward to the next 24 hours. One more photo with happy and confident faces before we get down to business. At the start, we stood in line for the first 20 minutes because people are sent out in portions. The enthusiasm of the others spills over to you and you can't wait to get started. Already now I notice the load on my back, but I will get used to it.

The first 20 kilometres we have done without any problems. We were in a good mood, had energy and were eager for the challenge. On the way we met people who walked barefoot, others had professional equipment and still others you could see that they just want to march along for fun. After the station, we went on strengthened and with filled up drinking bags and gradually it started to dawn. Here we took the first pain tablet provisionally because we had noticed during our night hike already after 20 km that one can feel the feet and the hips (of course everybody should decide according to his personal feeling). Two hours and a beautiful sunset later we arrived at the Krombacher Alkoholfrei station and took a short break. There we could prepare for the upcoming darkness and put on the Headlamps . As soon as the sun was gone, we had to dress warmly. A sweater and a softshell jacket were a good choice until then. But later we didn't want to miss the sweatpants, the scarf and the gloves.

Tip no. 3: Prepare well for the night hike! Warm clothes and a headlamp are a good choice. If you have the possibility, place a helpful and reliable (!) person with the clothes in a place where you are expected to be at nightfall. This can make your backpack and the walk considerably lighter.

Arrived at station 2, it was already dark and cool. We were a little exhausted, but still in good spirits. After a broth and Scho ka kola we went on. The next 10 km seemed very long. At kilometre 50, at the Y food-Station, one of us had to stop. She had reached her destination (more than 46 km and experiencing the visit of a colleague) and then her head did not take part anymore. So for us, it went on and we moved out into the night. Shortly afterwards another colleague paid us a visit and lifted our spirits a bit. At kilometre 55, one of us had blisters under her feet (which had gone unnoticed until then), which was very painful and required another joint pain tablet administration. The feet were patched up and the race continued. The ground was very uneven in this section and we had to concentrate very hard so that we did not fall over. At kilometre 60 it slowly got light again, which gave us courage again. At the same time, we were very tired and exhausted, just like after a night of drinking. In addition, the toilet facilities were very limited, because you can't even go into the bush in the city. The porta-potties/toilets could only be found at the VPS. Slowly we felt the lack of sleep and every step became more exhausting, every kilometre felt like 5 and until we reached the next kilometre marker, we should have been three kilometres further from the feeling.