Finally, a few tips for cleaning the device. The point is often forgotten, but it is very important. Because the cleanest tap water is of no use if there are germs on the soda maker and in the bottles. You should therefore dry the nozzle through which the CO2 enters the bottle after each use. After the bubbling, there is still some water hanging on it, and when it warms up over time, it forms an ideal biotope for bacteria.
In addition, tap water contains calcium - this doesn't make it worse for us, but calcium deposits over time (you may know this from the kettle). Not only does it look strangely "unclean", it can also affect the function of the bubbler by blocking the nozzle. If there is hardly any carbon dioxide in the water at the push of a button when the CO2 cartridge is full, this is not uncommon. Sodastream, for example, recommends the following procedure to remove limescale from the bubbler:
- Get some citric acid from the supermarket or drugstore. Liquid citric acid is usually found with the cleaning products; citric acid as a powder is also available in the baking department.
- Fill as much of it into a bottle as indicated on the packaging. Usually, about 50 ml of liquid or two tablespoons of powdered citric acid are added to one litre of water.
- Then fill the bottle with warm tap water.
- Then screw the bottle into the soda maker and briefly press the bubble button once.
- The citric acid must then be left to soak in for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Finally you can unscrew the bottle. You should wipe the bubbler nozzle again with a wet cloth and then dry it.
- The used bottle should be emptied and cleaned immediately. Rinsing with clear water is usually enough (what may be left of lemon acid residues is not worth mentioning). However, if you don't want to find a lemon taste in the water, you can also clean the bottle more intensively.
Ideally, you should clean the bottles thoroughly after each use (especially if you use syrup). To do this, pour a few drops of dishwashing liquid into the bottle, fill it with warm water and clean it with a dishwashing brush. Then remove the rinsing water, add fresh water and shake well with the bottle closed so that no rinsing residue remains. Then you can fill the bottle again with water to bubble up.
To be on the safe side, you should also do this if you want to use a bottle that has not been used for a long time.
It is best not to leave water bottles with sparkling water standing around for too long. It will stay sparkling for quite a long time as long as the lid is well closed. But the warmer it is, the easier bacteria spread. It would be better to put the bottle in the fridge in the meantime (which usually tastes better as well).
Of course, it is optimal if the drinks don't have to stand for long. Especially with water with syrup you should not wait long, because the syrup settles after quite a short time and can stick to the bottom of the bottle. For a small thirst in between, it is therefore very practical to have correspondingly small 0.6-litre bottles in your house.
One last important note: the plastic bottles are not dishwasher-safe. Even if it may seem a bit annoying at first, rinse them regularly by hand.
This will make sure that the water you bubble up on your own is always tasty and healthy - and puts any "normal" mineral water in a bad light.